Monday, July 13, 2015

7/13 ~ Western Minnesota

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Stories from the Road)
Post #38:
On his way back to Rochester NY, Carl Lebman arranged (by way of Cellular One, the early 1lb cell phones) for me to rest in Buffalo, MN at the Super-8. Though admittedly panicked, having lost my support vehicle, the first day, toward North Dakota, wasn't too bad, even in 100f+ heat and insane humidity. (Each Picture has more details.)

 Patricia Ayers I would have hated the weather. I am a 70's kind of girl!

~~~
Picture #078

Not exactly sure where this pic was taken, but I do remember it was the view from a campsite, 2 or 3 days outside of Minneapolis. There was lots of heat, biking, and camping, and some nights and days ran together. Without support, I had to round up food and camping sites, entirely on my own. I can recall several incidents, heading to Jamestown, and I will list them numerically. 1) Somewhere, before Fergus Falls, I collapsed, from heat exhaustion. A pickup truck got me, the bike and trailer, to the next town, and dumped me off at a tiny medical clinic. I received I.V. fluids, but after a couple of hours, I opted against medical advice, to continue biking. I never did get billed for that service. 2) On my second day, alone, I stopped at a small town diner, and asked for a contribution to our cause, by donating a meal. It's not quite the same, as support staff, asking on your behalf. The place had several customers. In front of all of them, I was verbally and physically accosted, calling me a "bum", and words like "We don't have AIDS in these parts; and we don't need you city queers bringing it to us." And I remember being pushed out the door, kicked in the ass--to the pavement. Yes, I got injured--a scraped palm and knee--and bruised butt. But, my confidence and esteem were injured the most. I got back on the Dream Machine, and kept biking, afraid to stop elsewhere, to eat. Next pic has more story. (Picture from Western Minnesota, mid-July, 1995)

 ~~~
Picture #079

3) Another thing I remember vividly are these ominous clouds and sudden storms. I was teetering between retched heat, and wicked storms. On one night, I could find no place to stay. I could see a huge storm approaching, and biked onto a farm trail, about 3 miles, to find the farm house and farmer. I asked if I could camp on his property, and was denied, and was told I was trespassing, if I stop. By the time I got back to the road, and nearby intersection, the storm was starting. I headed to a ravine, to be safe from the wind. It was a mosquito bed, like none I ever saw. I was savagely attacked, and the critters bit through all my layers. I got back to the intersection, and it started pouring down, with only that ravine as possible shelter. I remember dropping the bike, curling into a ball, and crying, while getting stormed on. Yet, the rain soothed my bites, perhaps 50 in all.  No amount of training can ready one for situations like this. (Picture from Western MN, mid-July, 1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment