Thursday, July 23, 2015

7/23 ~ Salem Sue

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Celebration)
Post #43:
Goodbye, Big Buffalo, and hello Salem Sue. (Stores from the road attached to each photo.)

~~~
Picture #089

Even I admit, it looks like we spent a lot of time in Jamestown, ND; however nearly all the pics shown you over the past several days were taken in two days. The rest of our time was spent on the road. And, no matter which touristy thing you see, if you look around the photo, you will see a lot of desolate land. It was hot, and sometimes stormy, but not much to photograph, unless we stopped at a tourist attraction, like Big Buffalo, and what good citizen of Buffalo, NY could resist getting this pic? (Picture from July 24, 1995)
— with Lebman Carl
~~~
Picture #092

Salem Sue is not in Salem, SD, but in New Salem, ND, and she is looking down at the other Salem. In truth, New Salem didn't want to be bested by Jamestown, ND, with its Big Buffalo. However, having these photos side by side, one might think there were only a few miles between. Actually, that one click of your mouse represents 138 road miles, down I-94. Much of that was bicycled, however, I admit here, that we racked the trailer on the backside of the car, and emptied everything except my water bottle, so that I might have an easier go of it, against the wind. Also, after New Salem, we realized I was pretty far behind schedule, and needed to be in Missoula, MT on the evening of the 28th. For that reason, I had to mark off about 350 miles, to be made up, later. If I recall though, the two biking days between these landmarks were easy, compared to Western Minnesota. So easy, in fact, that Carl Lebman likely didn't believe how bad the wind can get--until the storm that came out of nowhere, at night. When setting up camp, Carl mentioned "lightning" at a far distance. I assured him it was "heat lightning". Wrong again! Our tent, called "home" damn near blew away, in the storm, with Carl still inside. I was hiding in the block bathroom, because I'd already been through one tornado on this trip, lol. (Picture from July 25th, 1995)
— with Lebman Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment