Friday, July 31, 2015

7/31 ~ The Outpost

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Ride)
Post #47:
By now, we will have crossed into Idaho, and you will not want to miss the next post from Kellogg, Idaho. But, let me introduce you to some friends we made at The Outpost, our camping host in Missoula, Montana, before we headed out. (Each picture has more story.)

~~~
Picture #098

These chaps are two of our little supporters, each wearing a USAIDS 5,000 Junior tee. They are Andrew (L) and Alex (R) Stevenson, sons of Dan & Angie, who helped manage and care for The Outpost. Marj, the owner, donated our campsite, expressing, "times have been hard, here, with few campers. I wish there was more I could contribute, but a campsite is all we have."   Like I said earlier, some gave all they had. Missoula was made up of folks with heart, for sure, and we will never forget.   Unfortunately, I have learned that The Outpost has since been permanently closed. (Picture from July 28, 1995)
— with Andrew Stevenson of Missoula and Alex Stevenson of Missoula

~~~
Picture #099

Calling into our tent, I hear in a broken accent, "Hello, I have seen you in the news." When I told them, I hadn't seen The Missoulan, yet, he responded, "No, on the TV in Bonn, Germany." After chuckling, I assured the gentleman, he had the wrong person. "No, it was you. I recognize you. We see many stories from the United States, and we know you have AIDS.   It is a problem in Germany, too."   I couldn't even get coverage in Chicago, but yet we made the news in Bonn, Germany?  It was a tad hard to believe, but Franz Meschede was insistent.   He introduced us to his wife, Rita and son Andrej.   I mentioned that only Little John Geary of LaCrosse, WI was the only other person, besides me and Carl Lebman to ride the Dream Machine; but clearly, I forgot about Andrej Meschede, age 14.   It was "cool" in his words, to get to ride my bike around The Outpost Campground.   They all purchased tee shirts to support us, gave Carl an additional generous donation, to help us with our expenses, and cooked up breakfast from their rental pop-up tent (on the stove seen in the photo).   I managed to stay in touch for a year or so, but lost track of them after 1997.   (Picture from July 29, 1995)
— with Andrej Meschede, Bonn, Germany, Franz Meschede, Bonn, Germany and Rita, Meschede, Bonn, Germany 

No comments:

Post a Comment