Monday, July 27, 2015

7/27 ~ Hot Dog Missoulan

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Ride)
Post #45:
Hot Dog! We made it to Missoula, Montana, and it had been a long while since we received so much love and attention. The sign said "Bicycle Capital of the World", but hey, I was ignorant to the fact that Missoula was home to Adventure Cycling Association, a national cycling association. This is from their website: "Established in 1973 as Bikecentennial, we are the premier bicycle-travel organization in North America with more than 35 years of experience and 48,000 members. " But I didn't know that, then, lol. (Each picture contains more stories.)

~~~
Picture #097

Yeah, I know these pictures look like postcards, but they are the quality of photos Carl Lebman graced our entire trip with. One of the first sights we found, getting off the Interstate, was this Information plaza, complete with carousel and this ultra-cool cable car, turned Hot Dog Stand, welcoming folks to Missoula, Montana. The cute Hot Dog Guy, didn't mind Carl getting his photo. And, that is me, on the steps, sporting my NY tee shirt. I wanted them to know where I biked from. (Picture from July 28th, 1995)
— with Missoula Hot Dog Guy

~~~
Picture #096

I'm talking about "abilities", and yet they still call me "victim". But, statistically speaking, that was the reality of the era. I still credit the bicycle trip, itself, for having saved my own life. And, to be perfectly honest, I would not have succeeded, on my own, and will be forever thankful for Carl Lebman's generous spirit and willingness to help me make this dream come true. He didn't get enough praise, for his efforts, then. I hope I am doing that, here. He chose to never put himself into the story, unless specifically asked by reporters, "why was he helping me so much?" I keep hoping he will answer that in one of these posts. I'd rather you hear it from my friend. BTW, this pic was taken late afternoon, on the other end of the city, before a planned evening concert and TV studio interview for a later broadcast. (Picture courtesy of Missoulan, July, 1995

~~~
Picture #095

And, here's the rest of the story. It was on a different page, but my picture did make it on the Cover of The Missoulan. How cool is that? (Picture courtesy of Missoulan, July, 1995)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment