Monday, August 3, 2015

8/3 ~ Silver Mountain

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Tour)
Post #48:
Looking ahead at pictures you will be seeing this week, I'm obviously behind in these posts. I see an article in The Oregonian from August 4th, before arriving in Portland, and I've yet told you about Kellogg, Idaho. Oh well, I needed some time off in 2015, just as I did in 1995. Back then, it was the direct result of a biking accident in Kellogg. Today, and tomorrow, I will post the story "Bike Chain Reaction". (Each picture contains more story, and to see all the pics, you may need to click on them.)

~~~
Picture #111

I remember getting more than one tow through the mountain regions of Western Montana, into Idaho. And those highways were some spectacular scenes. Going extra slow up hill, I made up for it going way to fast, down hill. Two days out from Missoula, we landed in the quaint town of Kellogg, Idaho. They didn't make Corn Flakes, there, so it must have been a different Kellogg, I thought. It wasn't long before I knew what they made--FUN! From the road, we could see a gondola heading into the mountains, and it was the first and only time Carl Lebman asked for something for himself. He wanted to take it to the top of Silver Mountain, 5,600 feet UP over the Bunker Hill Silver Mines, from the 1800s. Carl is in the lower picture, which I'm sure was touched up, because I remember him looking "green"when I took this shot. He doesn't like heights, too much. The upper pic, we tease is one of Carl photographing me on the downhill mountain trail. Horizontally, across the center, is a tiny piece of the trail, and a little spec on the left side of that trail is a biker. I did cross that path, but I doubt that was actually me. Carl was going to meet me, below. So, just as Carl begged to go up, I had begged to go down on the mount trail. We each got our wishes. (Photos from July 31, 1995)
— with Lebman Carl  

~~~
Picture #110

Among folks we met on Silver Mountain, was the McGowan Family, from Washington State. We shared picture taking in these two photos. Steve suggested that Carl ask Lulu's Bike Shop to donate a rugged mountain bike, so that I could take the winding 12-mile trip down. Bruce, the Gondola Manager had one brought up for me to borrow. But Silver Mountain is about all sorts of entertainment, not just Gondolas and Mountain-Bike riding. They do skiing in winter, and hold concerts at an outdoor amphitheater in summer. I had seen a poster, getting off the gondola elevator, showing entertainment for the summer. A favorite of mine, from the late 1960s (Iron Butterfly) was one of the groups on the poster. Anyway, while I was taking an adventure ride, downhill, Carl Lebman was busy on the mountain, telling my story, and getting support for our cause. He also got "FREE STUFF' like use of the bike I borrowed to take down, and tickets to that evening's show, and hotel room, and more, all courtesy of Silver Mountain Entertainment. (Pictures from July 31, 1995)
— with Lebman Carl and Steve McGowan from WA

~~~
Picture #108

I can't remember which of these trails I actually took down, but nothing in this life can get me to forget the ride. I was playing "show-off", especially in front of a group of 4 college girls, each taking their own rental bikes down. It was, to this day, the meanest, wildest, most-awesome bicycle ride I've ever had, the likes of which others have posted videos to prove they went down it. My only proof is a big scar on my right shin. I was flying down, whizzing by the girls, confident that if I can bicycle TO Silver Mountain, certainly I can bicycle DOWN the thing. I was perhaps halfway down when I notice a clearing, where Kellogg is beautifully visible. In a split-moment, I realized, almost too late; the only reason I can see this is because IT'S A CLI.........IFF! Only one way to stop, at that point, apply both brakes, and drop to the right. Skidding near the edge, I was in a state of shock. Along comes the four girls, to my rescue. I advise them of my HIV status, because I am bleeding everywhere, but they didn't care. As 3 of them patched me up, including removing the stick from my shin, (they had a first aid kit?); the 4th was re-engaging the bike chain, and straightening out the handlebars. They sat with me, until I was ready to head down, again. Asking their names, one girl simply said, "We're your guardian angels. Now bike SAFE". Carl Lebman was waiting for me at the bottom, with some good news. But, it had to wait: "OMG, you're covered in dirt and blood; OMG, we've got to get you to a hotel room, and get you cleaned up. You have a big night ahead of you, OMG!" (The Concert Story--tomorrow.) (Trail Map courtesy of Silver Mountain Ski and Summer Resort, 1995)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment