Tuesday, August 11, 2015

8/11 ~ Eureka!

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Special)
Post #55: 
Here are some more excerpts from AN IMPOSSIBLE DREAM STORY, set to pictures, and altered to contain real names.

 ~~~
Picture # 129
[Arcata and its neighboring city Eureka were this team’s first large Californian cities en route. Badly beaten by recent weather fluctuations, we were, at best, sick. We required rest from the raw, rainy road. It could be found at the super, Super 8 in Arcata. Arriving mid-afternoon, we relaxed in comfort. So many times, the Super 8 had been our home away from home and our partners in this lengthy endeavor; sponsoring more than a place to rest and recoil, they had become a communication depot, allowing us to both make and receive urgent phone calls and faxes and permitting express drop-shipments of medical supplies from the Buffalo VA hospital. They served as a conference center for TV and print media blitzes, and generally advocated on our behalf to procure guest meals from local eateries. This day, we feasted at the four-star Abruzzi Italian Restaurant, a place so elegant, dinner jackets were expected. Having been exempted, we were seated and superbly catered to in the center dining room, wearing our biker shorts and tees among elegant ladies and gents. Our presence was announced, and the restaurant urged guests to greet us and perhaps make a donation.] (Pictures from Arcata Subway L and Eureka Subway R, August 10th and 11th, 1995)
— with Pam Bush, Eureka Subway

 ~~~
Picture #130
[Heading out the next morning later than usual, Carl Lebman planned a rendezvous with another corporate sponsor, Subway, where the local manager had arranged a formal press conference—right in front of Subway’s Sub Shop, of course. Eager to eat up the attention, I slipped on my “Viper-Star” attitude as I approached a barrage of cameras and reporters on the “dream machine.” California was taking notice, big time, of USAIDS 5,000. I felt oddly grateful for any coverage they could contrive for the current HIV and AIDS catastrophe.  As never before, I played the role perfectly.  I realized I had become a celebrity spokesman for something as serious as AIDS, but I felt as silly as a six-year-old cyclist squeaking a horn.  A Luther Vandross rendition of Leigh & Darion’s “The Impossible Dream” (now “Viper’s Theme Song”) was playing to further set the stage.  I eyed Carl standing far to the rear, as he always did.   It was my story, therefore my glory.]  (Article Courtesy of Times-Standard, Eureka, August 1995)

 ~~~
Picture #131
[While wrapping up questions from the curious crowd, one citizen asked me to, “Tell us how it feels to be a hero for your cause.”  My response was to bring Carl Lebman to the podium, telling them, “This is our cause—yours and mine. I am not the only spokesman, but one spoke in the wheel of hope.  My friends, this is Carl.  Without him as my primary support, this dream would have died long ago.   We need a second theme song to play: ‘Wind beneath My Wings.’ ” Then, giving Carl a hug, I waved goodbye with a, “Thank you and God bless you all for helping our cause.” Then came one final question, “What do you want to do when this is all over?” Like it had been rehearsed a hundred times, we shouted in unison, “We want to go to Disney Land,” and the crowd roared with laughter and applause, followed by more intense scrambling of journalists to get a last word and photographers jostling to get one more picture. It was all good.]  (Picture from August 11, 1995)


  

No comments:

Post a Comment