Saturday, August 22, 2015

8/22 ~ APLA

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Tour)
Post #63:
This was the day Carl Lebman and I went to AIDS Project Los Angeles for a tour and tremendous surprises they had in store for us this week. (Excerpts from AN IMPOSSIBLE DREAM STORY accompany each picture.)

 ~~~
Picture #154
 

APLA (AIDS Project Los Angeles - APLA) was famous, around the country, for their San Francisco to Los Angeles Bicycle Ride for AIDS. I've been told a number of times that the picture they put on their poster (upper left) was taken of me, somewhere between the two cities, when I bicycled.

[ Nine days out, I biked to APLA (AIDS Project Los Angeles) and we toured this one-of-a-kind service agency. Enormous in size, it housed all the standard services you would expect to find, like testing and education, as well as individual advocacy through case management. Further, it hosted a safe meeting place for clients, as well as a recreation area, kitchenette, library, and food pantry. They even held a medical clinic for many uninsured clients on the premises and boasted a dental clinic. I knew the perils of HIV on oral health, but this program was a first to me. . . ]    (Poster courtesy of APLA)


~~~
Picture #158

The article appeared in their October Issue, but the interview and photo (next photo) was taken onAugust 22, 1995.

~~~
Picture #159

[ . . . After interviewing for APLA’s Positive Living Magazine, Carl treated me to a tour of Hollywood; the famous Hollywood sign appeared just as it does on TV. We walked with the stars down Hollywood Boulevard and touched famous hand prints at the Chinese Theater. We window shopped down on Rodeo Drive, unable to afford anything. That evening, a popular night club, Rage, invited me to judge their local singing contest finals. I expected lip sync, not the Star-Search (now, American Idol) quality I discovered, with each act surpassing the last. The talented lad who won by a hair belted a believable version of “Impossible Dream.” His winning was purely coincidental. ]   (Article courtesy of APLA, October 1995)
 ~~~
Picture #160
  
For those reading details, here is the rest of the story, and it talks about how it came to pass that I met the one talented man who could have possibly managed this trip for me, Mr. Carl Lebman. (Article courtesy of APLA, October, 1995)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment