Wednesday, August 5, 2015

8/5 ~ What About Washington?

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Tour)
Post #50: 
Catching up, I will cover a few stops in this one post. What you won't see is our all-afternoon work at Seattle's Volunteer Park, for the annual International Croquet Tournament in support of Northwest AIDS Foundation (no longer in operation under that name). The story started in Kellogg, Idaho, with that bicycle accident, coming down Silver Mountain.   I required several tows to Seattle, because of my injuries, but I hadn't yet been seen by a doctor.   We arrived late for the event, but actually spent the entire afternoon raising money for the NWA Foundation.  Carl manned a sales booth, and I posed in photos with many people, using a Polaroid Camera that Carl brought along. To raise even more dollars, I took several children for rides around the park in my trailer, behind the Dream Machine.  All of the funds received were turned over; but we assumed reimbursement for the expensive film. That didn't happen. Nor, did we get treated to lunch, with the other volunteers. Nor, did I get offered a single cup of coffee to drench my caffeine withdrawal. And when we asked about lodging, supposedly coordinated by the Foundation, we were told that nothing was available, due to the large turnout for this International event. So, Carl instead asked if one of the volunteers could host us for the night. Did the organizer actually say, "Are you kidding? Nobody will want to share a bed with somebody with AIDS, still bleeding!"  We couldn't believe she said that, but she did!  Meanwhile, infection had set in on my leg, where a stick had dug in about 3/4 inch. Though it was bleeding, it was bandaged, and not exposed for people to see.  But I started running a fever, and my shoulder hurt real bad, too.  So, we spent the night at Seattle VA Hospital, instead of a motel or camp.   They gave me I.V. antibiotics, and determined that I had a torn right rotator cuff.  It was advised that I lay low for a few days. Try two! (Each picture has more of the story.)

~~~
Picture #114

The owners name was Terry (Top R), at a restaurant in Seattle, but I cannot locate the name in my journals. Terry opened his already closed restaurant to feed us at his expense. They were the only courtesies extended us by the entire city of Seattle, so you'd think I'd be better prepared.  But, then, we had bad experiences with the NW AIDS Foundation, and I was injured.   So, perhaps someone will recognize him, for me.  Not unexpectedly, I received incredible care from Seattle VA Hospital, so Terry really was not the only person we appreciated, there.   One night, was donated at Coyote RV Park in Lincoln City, Oregon.  Just outside the park was Josh Cox (Lower R), a young man who chopped firewood as a 2nd income, to help with school and upcoming wedding expenses.  (Pictures from early August, 1995)
— with Josh Cox's fiance'e, Jim Petretta, also, Terry from Seattle and Josh Cox 

~~~
Picture #115

Raelene and Roberta (posing with Carl Lebman) are "family" we met at Circle Creek RV Park, in Oregon. This is where we spent another night. Tomorrow, I will share the story of Patrick, nephew of a new waitress at Wayside Motor Inn, on the Oregon Coast. That night, we shared beer and stories with the girls, trying to carry Patrick in our hearts. It was a difficult night. (Picture from early August, 1995)
— with Lebman Carl and Roberta "Family"


~~~
 Picture #116

This time, with real blood-relatives-type family, Carl Lebman​ and I accepted a complete evening with meals and rest at his cousin's place, near Portland, Oregon.   (Top) is Charlene, Carl, Crissy and Charlie.   (Bottom) is Crissy, James, me and Frank Jr. and the cat.  (Picture from early August, 1995)
— with Charlene Anzalone, Lebman Carl, Crissy's hubby, James, Jim Petretta, Frank Anzalone, Jr. and Little Charlie 

No comments:

Post a Comment