Sunday, August 30, 2015

8/30 ~ Camp Pendleton

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Tour)
Post #71:
[ Excerpts from AN IMPOSSIBLE DREAM STORY accompany each photo, edited to show actual names. ]
 ~~~
Picture #188a
[ To stay on the already-revised schedule, I had to rack the bike half the distance to Oceanside, our next planned stop, which was Camp Pendleton Marine base where my son-in-law Ollie was stationed. . . . ] (Picture from August 30,1995) 
— with Melinda South and Son-in-law Oliver South

Jeff Schroeder · Friends with Melinda South  Man! That is a young Ollie South! 
Melinda South Jeff Schroeder, do you think he was into himself back then? Lol


~~~
Picture #188b
[ . . . Visiting was in order, so that’s exactly what Carl did while Dad (me) crashed on the sofa. After a scrumptious dinner prepared by Melinda, my granddaughter Courtney, then about 14 months old, fully entertained us by playfully posing for many pictures. . . ] (Picture from August 30, 1995) 
— with Courtney Gourlay 

Melinda South And now this is her little guy, John Oliver!

Courtney Gourlay My baby pictures remind me so much of my little monkey boy!
Sue Fleming what a little cutcie

~~~
Picture #189
[ . . . It was a good night’s rest; it must have been, because I slept longer than I had in three months. With only one full biking day remaining, I was being prodded by media and family, all wanting to know, “now what?” I didn’t know the answer. I didn’t even have a place to live. I didn’t want to think about those challenges yet. . . ] (Pictures from August 30, 1995) 
— with Sleepy Jim Petretta, Melinda South and Courtney Gourlay 

Melinda South Wow, we were so young! Now my baby has a baby of her own.
Jim Petretta Go ahead, post a picture of Courtney holding John Jr.

Jim Petretta From baby daughter to grandson, you haven't shown you've aged 20 years, Melinda; you are still beautiful. 
Melinda South Thanks dad!
Virginia Sheppard-Dapshis · very cute 
   
~~~
Picture #182
[ . . . With one day to go, I dug out the “make-up miles” list and knocked another measure off while touring Camp Pendleton. I returned to find that San Diego’s North County News was on base for a final interview preceding my highly-anticipated arrival. The story was a gimmie, but I was asked to bike up and down the street countless times to give the photographer a chance to snap a perfect picture for the article. After all that effort, the editor selected a posed, stationary photo. Still, my smile was genuine, as was the Iron Butterfly t-shirt I proudly sported. (full pic tomorrow.) It was one of those rare “I made it” smiles that sometimes make it to the history books, but then, Jim Petretta is no Pedro. . . ] (Picture taken on August 30, 1995; Picture and article courtesy of The Blade-Citizen, North County, August 31, 1995) 

~~~
Picture #183
[ . . . After making final hotel arrangements at the Super 8, our team left the base for my final biking day to the planned destination city of San Diego. Melinda and Courtney rode with Carl ; they spent the final Super 8 night with us, to be available for the last mile in the support vehicle. While they played Rummy, I slipped off into introspective contemplation, then slumber. ] (Article courtesy of North County News, August 31, 1995) 

No comments:

Post a Comment