Friday, June 26, 2015

6/26 ~ South Bend

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Ride)
Post #27:
The media showed no mercy as I biked from Elkhart, through South Bend, to New Carlisle, IN. It seemed that my story was big news in the smaller cities, South Bend, no exception. One TV reporter tried to video me using a tree (to pee), before entering South Bend, while another clanked me in the head with an overhead video boom, once I reached the city limits, trying to get a unique camera view. Brief encounters aside, Carl Lebman had been doing a remarkable job promoting our mission, and orchestrating media coverage. A New Carlisle home would be our destination, and the first night we were invited to stay with a family, instead of camping or hotel. (Each picture has more details.)

~~~
Picture #054

There can be no better way to make my story seem real for you, than introduce you to some very real folks who entered my life, 20 years ago. Max and Robyn, and sons Josh and James opened their home to me and Carl Lebman in one of the most kind and loving gestures of honest goodness I found in my 3-month odyssey. After all, I had AIDS, before a time of better drugs, when most people kept a fair distance, let alone offer me a comfortable bed to rest my head. Is there any wonder why my heart is attached to them, still this day? Robyn was my connection, because at the time, she used her RN skills at AIDS Ministries of South Bend, where they did educational outreach and HIV testing. However, she was the consummate mother, too, baking and cooking, and giving everyone quality time. She also took in stray dogs, which may explain opening her home to us, lol. Max (now retired) was a high-demand English/Literature professor at St. Mary's College. Seeing me keep a journal, he was the first to suggest I write a story about the bike trip. I credit him for planting the seed, which ultimately became a theme of An Impossible Dream Story. Max is one of the better conversationalists, I've grown to love and visit. Josh was perhaps only 17 at the time, and has since finished several degrees, became a teacher, married his sweetheart, Kelly, and they have two children of their own. His younger brother, James (who went by Jamie, back then) was forever tinkering with auto and truck engines. He has since used his skills to master big rigs. He also uses photography to capture unique pictures he shares with friends. I'm honored to call all of them, friends. (Pictures from June 25, 1995)
with Josh Hart, James E Hart, Max Westler and Robyn Westler

Josh Hart Love you, Jim! Can't wait to read your work.
Robyn Westler Jim Petretta, you are the gift that keeps on giving! We love you!
Robyn Westler Baby Harley...let's not forget him!
Rebecca Stoddart Such a lovely tribute to you both, Robyn & Max. Blessings to all of you.
Em Bla So beautiful, and not at all surprising.
Rose Gammill Jones Robyn Westler! I have never seen your hair that long!  
Max Westler Hey, Jim! Just a big hug to you & Feng on this great day, a great day for your community, for every American. God Bless America!
  
~~~
Picture #055

Sharon Brown was one of the journalists I actually remember, after all these years. Though writing for South Bend Tribune, she came to Super-8 in Elkhart, the night before, to get the story early. The photo, taken in the rain, was added on June 26th, as I departed New Carlisle, headed to my first hometown, Portage, IN. Sharon was the first person to sense that I had difficulty, playing celebrity, because I wanted balance, so that my story might be the catalyst for getting needed attention and funding for HIV/AIDS, and for so many other people trying to hang in, until there was a cure--or at least a way to survive. Each of them had lives, afflicted or affected. It was always my intent to tell the stories of those I knew or met on the trip. I hope I still do that with some humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment