Sunday, June 21, 2015

6/21 ~ Paradise Acres

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20 Year Anniversary Re-Creation)
Post #22: 
We are beginning our 4th week on the road, and were lucky to be guests at Paradise Acres RV Park (and Campgrounds) in Oak Harbor, Ohio. It was June 21; so what about Mayflies? (Each picture has more details.)

~~~
Picture #039

I cannot find her name, anywhere, but this is likely the owner or manager (let's call her Betty) of Paradise Acres RV Park. It was obviously hot; in fact, the ride across Ohio had consistently topped 90f each day. Yet, I always paused for photos with local folks. I believe we were the only tent campers at this Lake Erie fishing resort. Setting up camp, I couldn't help but think how beautiful Northern Ohio is, and I never knew it. (Picture from last day of Spring, 1995)
— with Betty, Paradise Acres

~~~
Picture #040

Now you know why we were the only folks in a tent, lol! These critters are called Mayflies, and they appear along the shores of Lake Erie from May through Early July. They arrive, each evening, at dusk, and are usually dead by dawn. Having never heard of them, I totally freaked out, because they were just as bad, on the toilets and every surface. By morning, there was a carpet of the bugs to walk across. I am such an obsessive creature, myself, I vividly recall taking an extra hour to pack, to make sure not a single bug went along for the ride.  I have since learned that Mayflies are valued for trout fishing; and are part of the shore of Lake Erie heritage. Residents quickly sweep them up, each morning, then go back about their business. People like me would never guess, on a sunny afternoon, what creatures of night await us. Welcome to Summer! I found some online pictures, far worse than this one Carl Lebman took for posterity. (Picture from June 22, first day of Summer, 1995)

Sue Fleming EWWWW. that is all

No comments:

Post a Comment