Thursday, June 25, 2015

6/25 ~ Elkhart, IN

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20 Year Anniversary Pictorial Ride)
Post #26:
'Karma' and 'Truth' are messages of today, as I am dealing with yet another small outbreak of shingles, this time in my throat, and left ear. These constant little illnesses and forever low CD-4 cell count, though nuisances, are a reminder to me how lucky I am to have beaten the odds, when so many of my brothers and sisters with AIDS did not. I do hope I was able to lend some encouragement to those I met, that help (and hope in the form of better drugs) would soon be here. I was right; they were being rolled out in late 1996. But folks needed a 'will to live', something they had to bring on their own. (Each Picture has more details)


~~~
Picture #052

Biking almost 70 miles this day, Carl, in support vehicle, got separated from me; he was certain I was lost, or worse. After having a county-wide trucker's watch and police APB put out on me, he decided to head to Super-8 to wait out the results. He found me there, waiting for him, lol! While I was showering and resting, Carl had gone to the local Olive Garden (then, owned by General Mills, my former employer) to ask for a meal for this biker. The Gen. Mgr., Dave Clark, said, "If this is the same Jim Petretta I know, I'll buy you both dinner." I was, of course, but was this Karma at play? Dave had been a manager for me at York Steak House, where I promoted him to Senior Manager. He was as gracious a host to us as I've ever seen, anywhere. Here, the tables were turned, and I needed help; and I find a man who credited me with helping him grow so much, in the past. He made me proud in front of Carl. I felt validated. (Picture from June 24, 1995)
— with Clown Bartender and Dave Clark, Olive Garden GM

Sue Fleming Wonderful story. as all of the posts.
Nancy K. Sorensen I LOVE your t-shirt.
Jim Petretta It's the one Carl Lebman made the bartender strip, to give to me, lol. It is part of a quilt now. I will post that pic, later.
  
 ~~~
Picture #053

The truth is, by Elkhart, I was already starting to feel worn, and the days started running together, just a bit. Had I taken on more than I could bike? The 1,100 miles reported here were actually closer to 1,400 in biking routes. Some of the stories reported, also get confusing. This article says I was on leave of absence, but it didn't clarify, that was from Benedict House, a home for PLWAs in Buffalo, an organization which hired me, after I was fired (not from General Mills, Inc.) for having an ARI (AIDS related illness). Through those I met on the road, it had become ever clear that my story was the norm, "get HIV--bye job". (Article is from Elkhart's The Truth, June 25, 1995; picture taken by Carl Lebman on June 24, 1995)

Nancy K. Sorensen I am SO proud of you! The things you did really helped so many. I would have rather chosen the alternate, the seen carriage and horses!

No comments:

Post a Comment