Wednesday, June 24, 2015

6/24 ~ Harrison Lake

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(Re-told through Pictures)
Post #25:
Each day, I show pictures corresponding to the prior day, 20 years ago, but to squeeze in more story from David's House, I had to stretch it over two days. In fact, I already bicycled another 60+ miles from Toledo, to Harrison Lake State Park on June 22nd; then we crossed over into Indiana on June 23rd, camping that night at Happy Acres RV Park in Angola. (Each picture has more story details.)

~~~
Picture #049

Wade and Jean Hastings (from Florida) were Senior Citizen volunteers at Harrison Lake State Park, Ohio, and it was their job to make sure campers were comfortable, forgetting to warn us about something. After showers, while standing by our campfire, I notice two bright eyes, near Carl's feet. It was a smiling raccoon. Carl Lebman scrambled so fast, he actually ran out of his shoes. It was like a comedy scene, but I didn't get the last laugh. Not sure if it was the potato chips or my big toe that attracted the rascal, but my morning wake-up call was with another critter scratching the tent, by my foot. I will not repeat the expletives used! After breaking camp, we headed into Indiana, tenting again, this time at Happy Acres RV Park. We were the only tent campers, but were thankful for a flat pad to set up on. It rained, no, actually poured, like a monsoon, yet we stayed high and dry in our little tent, we called 'home'. (Picture from June 23, 1995)
— with Wade Hastings, Volunteer and Jean Hastings, Volunteer

 ~~~
Picture # 045

Before departing Toledo, earlier that week, Barbara Horwitz, a Journalist for Toledo Blade caught up with me, as I was stretching, preparing for an early ride. She mailed a copy of her article to Carl toward the end of the month, along with a separate note, I plan to show later, when there are more miles than stories. We were looking forward to entering our fourth state, not only because we were winding up the first full month of biking, but also because Indiana was my original home state. I often claim Buffalo, NY as my hometown city and state of choice, but I am in fact a native Hoosier, and I have many loved ones there. (Picture and Article from Toledo Blade June 23, 1995)

Nancy K. Sorensen I didn't realize that you were older. Geez, that in itself is a real amazing feat. For 44, you sure looked good ( still do I may add ). Love love all the pictures. I have to go back and catch up on some days I missed due to work. Love ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment