Saturday, June 6, 2015

6/6 ~ Sometimes Victims, Sometimes Not

1995 USAIDS 5,000
Post #7:
Sometimes, we're victims; sometimes, we're not. I was indeed victimized when a teen deliberately ran me off the road, following an interview in Auburn.  Guy from Guy's Bicycle Shop, Madison, replaced the damaged wheel of my purple monster-bike. We persons living with AIDS hated being called victims--especially in print! (Each picture has more details.)

Sue Fleming all the pics u are posting are so awesome. thank u for sharing your journey
Jim Petretta I'm glad you like them.
Johan Heine The pictures are a good addition to your "impossible dream" Jim Petretta [smile emoticon]
Jennifer Bradburn Harman Jim, these little snippets of your trip have been great. I'm glad you're sharing. Miss you guys.
Jim Petretta Jennifer; it is most gratifying to have a few nice comments...thank you. Are your pups sociable? Perhaps we should plan a puppy play date, although one of us will have to travel. Hugs, j
Jennifer Bradburn Harman Jim, unfortunately our dogs aren't great with other dogs. But we could meet for lunch. We're camping the next few weekends but are you guys free sometime after that?

~~~

 Picture #013

Guy Mintel, from Guy's Bicycle Shop, opened shop on Sunday evening to repair my damage bike, I called the Purple Monster or Purple "Dream Machine". It was a souped up mountain bike. (No, I didn't know better than to do cross-country on a mountain bike. I wasn't a professional cyclist, after all.) Guy replaced the rear wheel and brakes, with something more durable, and donated both his time and parts, to get me back on the road. Notice how he covered the luxury seat with a towel. As best I know, he's still in business. My Grandfather was named "Guy", and this young man, half my age, was the only other person I knew by that name. What a Guy, seriously! Thanks. (Picture from June 4, 1995)
— with Guy Mintel

~~~~

Picture #014

Steve Fennessy, of The Citizen, wrote a great article with a horrible headline. We were promoting "productivity" and "living with hope"; nothing resembling "victimization". However, statistically speaking, at that time, it was common knowledge that an AIDS diagnosis equaled death, sooner, rather than later. It was also the first time, but not last, that my adventure was called an odyssey. ( Definition of ODYSSEY. 1 : a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune. 2 : an intellectual or spiritual wandering or quest.) Well, I guess that was me, at the time. I like the pic though. I was wrapping up a hot, sweaty day. (Photo of article from June 3, 1995)


No comments:

Post a Comment