Friday, June 5, 2015

6/4 ~ Ruth Riotta & Tony Venable

1995 USAIDS 5,000
Post #5:
Support for USAIDS 5,000 came in many forms. Ruth Riotta was a volunteer at Macedon Fire Department; and made space for Carl and I on our first camp night on their lawn. Tony Venable created the original sketched design our volunteer team adopted, before it was put to CAD format for use on tees and buttons. (Each picture has more details.)

~~~
Picture #009

Ruth Riotta was 80 years old when Carl Lebman and I met her; so, if she is still living, she would now be 100, and smiling. Ruth made space for our tent, and opened the Fire Station for us to have free showers, and a bite to eat, also supplied by Macedon FD. (Note: The trailer behind the bike that I often pulled. It weighed 55-80 lbs, depending on what I needed to haul at any given time.) (Picture from June 1, 1995)
— with Ruth Riotta, Volunteer

Ginger Pagano you kinda look like freddy mecury in some of these pics, can u sing???:)
 
~~~ 
Picture #010
 
I believe the tribute is readable. Tony's battle with our disease ended before he saw his own creation in button or tee shirt form. He granted permission to use his name, at the time of his donation. On the tee, the AIDS ribbon sits right over the heart, so I carried Tony in my heart the entire distance. RIP you sweet, sweet man! Your efforts made a huge difference, and you are remembered. (Picture of poster from 1994, but not sure of the date. At the time, Benedict House was on Plymouth Ave in Buffalo.)


Nancy K. Sorensen Your saga makes me deliriously happy and incredibly sad. Lovin' the Iliad, I mean...the Odyssey.

No comments:

Post a Comment