Monday, June 29, 2015

6/29 ~ Leaving Indiana

1995 USAIDS 5,000
(20th Anniversary Pictorial Ride)
Post #30:
Saying goodbye, even for a short while, was not easy in 1995. Granted, I'd long learned to 'focus on the future', and I never once gave up hope; yet I knew the very real possibility that something might go wrong, either on the bike trip, or with my ever-declining health. After all, AZT had a crippling effect on me, with back pain and foggy-head; while DDI tore up my digestive system. So, until something better came along, my drugs of choice CCB (Coffee, cigarettes and bicycling, lol). (Each picture has more details.)

~~~
Picture #058

My son, Bon Petretta, was working this day; however my two beautiful, darling daughters were at Super-8 to bid me safe travels. Melinda (Picture Left) was heading to Camp Pendleton with her Marine hubby, Oliver, and they planned to greet me there, as my trip concluded in San Diego, at the end of August. Amanda is my youngest, and was still attending Portage High School, with academic honors, while holding down a job, too! I love being with my children! (Picture from June 28, 1995)
— with Melinda South and Amanda McCune


Sue Fleming what a wonderful picture of you and your girls
Melinda South I love the pic. We were so young!
Nancy K. Sorensen The happiness just glows from all of you. Nothing quite like being with your children!
Amanda McCune Wow that's an oldie but goody dad!
Nancy K. Sorensen You girls and Bon, are very lucky to have such a wonderful, loving dad (and mom) ....he is a very special man. I am certain that all of you have the same qualities :)
Jim Petretta You are just buttering me up for something. What is it? You think I need a 3rd dog, or do you need me to babysit that pack of yours? lol
Sue Fleming your dad is a wonderful man and i am proud to call him my friend. love him to pieces.
   
~~~
Picture #063

I remember heading to the lobby of Super-8 for Coffee, stepping over the Newspaper, delivered to each room. I had a glimpse of the cover photo, but I needed a moment to let it soak in, So THIS is what they meant by giving the story "a cover". The receptionist made a point of greeting me, "Good morning, Mr. Petretta. Your children must be very proud of you." Thanking her, I asked for another copy, because this was the first time in my life, I'd made front page of a big newspaper, with good news, and an 8x10 color photo. I came back to the room, coffee and newspapers in hand, yelling for Carl Lebman to wake up, saying "You're going to need some coffee for this one." Later that morning, I would be bicycling through Gary, my birth city, the same city where I was brutally fired for being gay. I knew my old boss would find a copy of the news on his desk, first thing; and I wondered how his coffee tasted. Yes, it was raining, but with Carl in the follow vehicle, and folks blinking their headlights and sounding their horns, all the way into Chicago, I felt invigorated and liberated. If there were tears of joy, who would know; I enjoyed bicycling through the rain. It was all good. (Picture, courtesy of Gary Post Tribune, June 27, 1995)

Nancy K. Sorensen Must have been SO freakin' happy to see that for once you were an inspiration. I will edit that to say in this particular circumstance. Well, you know what I mean [wink emoticon]
Jim Petretta Inspiration is 1/4 imagination and 3/4 perspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment